This gingerbread cookies are all of a sudden between my favorite ones, especially because they became my daughters’ favorite. Never saw them enjoying my cookies as much as this cute stars. They are very flavorful, can be made in various shapes and decorated any way you like.
The dough is easy to work with and behave really good to re-rolling and shaping. You can create crispier or softer cookies depending on your preference. Roll the dough really thin if you want them crispy or roll it out thicker to make soft cookies. It is very simple. A recipe you can easily make with kids helping. They simply adore cutting the dough.
This gingerbread stars were a big success in our family.. try them out for holidays, everybody will love them.
- Makes about 3 dozen cookies
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 stick (110g) butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Sugar Icing
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, optional
- In a large bowl cream butter with sugar, honey and vanilla extract. Add the egg and mix well.
- In another bowl whisk dry ingredients together: flour, salt, spices and baking soda.
- Incorporate dry ingredients to the butter mixture and stir until the dough comes together to form a ball. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 F(180C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll the dough between two layers of plastic wrap, 1/8 inch (2, 3 mm) thickness. If you want them crispy roll the dough very thin. If you want them softer roll it out thicker.
- Cut the dough into star shapes using the cookie cutters. I used 2 star shapes, a smaller and a bigger one. Re-roll the remaining dough and cut more stars. I use a fork to remove the dough between the star shapes. Place the stars onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving a little space between them.
- Bake for 7 to 10 minutes (depending on the cookie size). Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 2 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the icing simply combine powdered sugar with milk and vanilla extract if used. Spoon the icing into the piping bag and decorate the gingerbread stars. Allow to set.