Marinate your steaks before grilling
Instead of just seasoning your steaks with salt and pepper….or your favorite grilling blend, try marinating steaks with fresh herbs from the garden.
What kind of herbs to use?
Here are my favorite herbs that work really well with steak:
- Green onion
- Thinly sliced shallots
- Thinly sliced garlic cloves
You can chop the herbs, or keep them whole on the stem.
Completing the flavor profile
What makes food “delicious” is a harmony of different flavors such as:
- Savory (fresh herbs, steak)
- Salty (salt)
- Spicy (black pepper)
- Sour (acid)
- Sweet (honey, molasses)
If you look of most marinades and dressings, you’ll notice all of these flavor profiles.
How to marinate steaks with fresh herbs
- In a gallon sized bag, add in your herbs of choice.
- Add in “acid” flavor profile, such as:
– red wine vinegar
– couple thin slices of lemon
- Add in the “sweet” flavor profile, such as:
– brown sugar
- Season the steaks with salt and pepper, add the steaks into the bag. Squeeze out all the air.
- Marinate in refrigerator for a couple of hours to overnight.
I leave all the herbs on the steaks when I’m grilling.
2 hrs 25 mins
Use fresh herbs from your garden to marinate steaks for the grill.
Course: Main Course
Keyword: grilling, steak
Servings: 4 people
Calories: 342 kcal
- 1 bunch fresh herbs of your choice chopped or left on stem
- 3 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 1/2 lemon sliced
- 1 teaspoon honey molasses or brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 steaks of your choice
- salt and pepper
In a gallon-sized ziplock bag, add the herbs, garlic cloves, lemon (or vinegar), honey and olive oil.
Season each steak with salt and pepper. Place steaks into the ziplock bag, massaging the herbs and oil into each steak. Remove as much air as possible from bag and seal.
Refrigerate to marinate for 2 hours up to overnight.
When ready to grill, you can leave the herbs on the steak, they’ll provide additional flavor to the steak when cooking.
Grill steaks to your liking.
Marinate Steaks with Fresh Herbs Recipe
Amount Per Serving
Calories 342 Calories from Fat 243
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 9g56%
Vitamin A 123IU2%
Vitamin C 8mg10%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
More steak recipes
Rosemary Garlic Steak recipe
Grilled Skirt Steak with Chimichurro recipe
Steak with Kimchi Butter Recipe